Monday, November 24, 2008

Good Learning - Good Laughs - Good Music

Good day today. We all need days like these to remind us that fun and good tidings are still to be had. Monday nights I'm glued to CBS from 7:00 to 8:30. And all three shows provided fuel for a good and hearty laugh. That's rare. I enjoy all the shows very much, but its rare that all 3 give me a good satisfying, midriff clenching, couch-bouncing, head-rearing guffaw! Yeah... that kind of laugh!
I'm not gonna bother to look right now, but I have little doubt that scenes will be on you tube shortly.

The good laugh followed an afternoon of learning. Yup... I'm on holiday and I'm doing educational stuff. Well, actually, I stayed in doing educational stuff. But it was mixed with entertainment. So it still counts as a holiday-related activity.... doesn't it?
You shouldn't be too surprised anyway. After all, I'm the guy that had a day to kill in Manhattan and takes a guided tour of the NY Public Library! Yeah.... that's me. I have a day to blow in the Big Apple (where did that name come from anyway?) and I go to the freakin' library! Those who know me best are smiling and nodding right about now.

So, on with today...

This morning I woke feeling rested. I had forgotten what that feels like. Don't get me wrong... I don't have trouble sleeping. I just have a busy mind and my thoughts usually involve what I have to do tomorrow. And I've been having some memorable dreams too. (Blanca.... close your eyes for a second!) I'm trying really hard to avoid analyzing them right now, but suffice it to say there is a recurring character of the female persuasion starring in them right now. Her role has been a bit lascivious in nature.
(Ok you can open them again) :-)

Ok... back to the smart-making stuff.

Last week in school I was teaching my classes about the Lewis & Clark and the Corps of Discovery as well as the search for the Northwest Passage. This actually hearkens back to an entry I made some time ago when I was discussing favorites... and one of my favorite shows of all time is "Due South". Well, that show is what introduced me to the Northwest Passage in the first place. Its such an intriguing piece of history. As I was preparing my lessons I came across a Discovery program called "Search for the Northwest Passage". I didn't find it for sale anywhere, in video format or for download. But I did find it on You Tube. Go figure. So I watched it today. Of course its cut into nine or ten 10 minute segments. Absolutely unimaginable. Therein lies the potential for a great tragedy of epic proportions. With the right writers and people, this story could be told on the scale of James Cameron's "Titanic".

So that was the learning part. I took lots of notes. I have more homework to do on that subject, but I'm in no hurry. I need to find a book written by the guy that actually was the 1st one through the passage. It was Roald Amundsen, in case you're curious. How cool would it be use his own words in describing what actually transpired! Think about it... from whom would you rather hear a story: From a guy sitting behind a desk 6,000 miles away, or from someone on the ground when bombs were falling over Dresden in 1945? So the next time I teach this, I'll have a way cooler presentation!

As far as the good music part.... I spent some time digging through my music and came across some goodies. I'm putting together a nice travel compilation for my upcoming trip. Which brings me to now.

I'm in my garage smoking a cigar & I'm writing this as I periodically peer over my right shoulder at the unorganized mess of camping gear strewn about the floor. Soon I'll be sifting through the equipment & sundries for my upcoming return to the Renaissance Festival this weekend.
I have my list and I'll be checking it thrice.

So, my frinds, I leave you with that. Its been a good day. Good learning, good laughs, and good music!
Don't forget to smile. :-)

Be well.

1 comment:

Lilaqua said...

so no stories about the ren fest... and yes many women are flirting with you and they like you because you do not hit on them but then nothing comes and that is kind of hurtful/confusing since they think they put themselves out there... you know that mister psycho babble. the right one will motivate you and it will just run you over anyway.....lol