Sunday, November 16, 2008

Boy am I glad he called!

On Thursday I got a call from a buddy of mine.  He wanted someone to go the Dropkick Murphys  concert Friday night.  All he had to say it was Celtic/punk and I was in!  I had honestly never heard of them before.  Boy am I glad he called!!!

What a blast!  I wasn't sure what to expect so I planned to dress conservatively.  Normally I would don my kilt to such an event, but I had never been to Concrete Street Amphitheater before so I didn't know the layout.  I had my kilt in the car, but decided against it since it has no pockets and I failed to bring a purse.  (man-purse, by the way!  More of a leather pouch really.)  

Anyway.... John talked me into it and loaned me one of his Utilikilts (they have pockets).  Good thing too, the environment was quite conducive to kilt donning!  All standing, no nasty, wet, or dirty seats or benches to sit on.  

So I met him at his house and we gradually made our way over to Concrete Street.  As we were walking up to the ticket booth we could hear the 1st of the 2 opening bands playing.  As it turned out, the guy in the booth was an old friend of mine with whom I used to work several years ago.  Its always cool to see old friends in unexpected places.  

It wasn't too crowded.  Plenty of room to move around.  After a little grub, John and I downed our first Guinness then made our way closer to the stage.  We caught the tail end of the band and were impressed when they were breaking down their own equipment (instead of roadies).

Shortly thereafter, we bumped into a mutual friend.  That was unexpected and refreshing.  It kind of makes you think that other people have lives too!   Go figure!   haha
I even ran into another one of my coworkers from my previous job.  That was a little more of a surprise, and another one of those moments that reminds me I need to get out a little more.  Who knows, I might actually meet people!  What a concept!

Anyway...
The second band was a pleasant surprise.  Too bad I don't recall their names right now.  
Then Dropkick came out and the crowd went nuts!  I see why!  It took me a little while to warm up, but after a couple beverages and a cigar, I was warm.  John didn't need as long to start getting into the spirit of the event.   He was bouncing around to the beat long before I was done with my cigar.  

About half way through the show I finally got into it.  So much fun!  I'm not much of a dancer, but bouncing up and down is easy.  The next thing I know, my feet started kicking out as if I was dancing a reel or a jig.  I really didn't know what I was doing... other than just having a good time and dancing.  By the end of the concert John, some others, & I were swinging around each other by the elbows, kind of like the old square dances we had to learn in second grade.  

What a blast!!  Boy, am I glad he called!

Here's a taste of Dropkick Murphys.

Be well


No comments: