Friday, January 2, 2009

Life Is Precious

That seems to be a message that is all too easily forgotten, despite the frequent reminders in our pop culture. There are many opportunities to be reminded of this.... every day.

Do you ever find yourself just watching people? Not even deliberately. You just catch yourself staring. Do you ever ask yourself why? Do you answer? I do. Frequently. I try to find connections between me and everyone else. I observe... I listen... I watch... and sometimes I stare. I'm the weird seclusive bald guy down the street that kids are warned to avoid. hehe
Almost everything about me is unconventional... at least for where I live. Don't get me wrong...
I love my neighborhood. I have good neighbors. But I'm the odd one out. I'm not married with kids. I live with a bunch of animals (and no I don't live in a frat house). I'm Pagan. I like to run around the house naked. I smoke pipes and cigars. I listen to weird music. I have weird books. There is really nothing obvious about me. By looking at me you can't discern my origin. By listening to me you can't tell where I was raised. By talking with me you might not be able to guess if I'm educated. You can't tell if I'm a sports fan. I have a ubiquitous look about me. I blend well. Either that or I have about 18 brothers that look like me. (Poor bastards) :-)
In short, I'm an anomaly.

So what does all this have to do with the title of this post? Well, my friends, I'll tell you...
Let's see if I can make sense of my train of thought so that I don't sound like some babbling fool stuck on the 7th floor somewhere:

One of my most prominent missions in life is to decipher the mystery of being. That is to figure out what motivates people to be who they are. Oh yeah, this gets deep. So hold on. (Feel free to bail out at any time) It is for this reason that I am so observant. That is why I study people's behavior, their mannerisms, their attire, etc. I try to figure them out in hopes of figuring out what the hell we (as a people) are doing here. I want to know. My mantra is "Seek knowledge. Wisdom follows."

So far, I've learned that there is wisdom in simplicity. There are so many movies and songs and stories that remind us to enjoy life. But we don't always live the way those stories tell us. In fact, in our western culture, we go out of our way to prove to ourselves, and those around us, that we are somehow more special... more deserving than everything else. We have forgotten that life, in of itself, is precious.
After teaching middle school science I learned a thing or two about just how fragile life is. If everyone had an inkling on an idea of how narrowly we survive... it is by a thread of the universe's web that we cling to life. And yet we thrive. As a result of this, we try to live in opulence to prove to ourselves that we belong. Its as though there is some unconscious drive to maintain our constant state of denial.
Its the simple things that make life possible in the first place. And hence, we take these simple things for granted. Just ask the farmer that hasn't seen rain in two years. Ask the fisherman whose lake dried up. Ask the Inuit who can't feed his family because the caribou left. You get the point.
This thread by which we live weaves and turns through the universe. And no one knows when this thread will break. But it will. So we ought to live as though we know this. We ought to live as though we are thankful. We ought to live as though we are fortunate, not deserving. This thread goes by many names. For people to make sense of the worlds around and within us we have to apply terms to them. This thread is known by many names: God, Allah, Goddess, Yahweh, Luck, Providence, Brahma, Elohim, Jehovah, Gaea, Verdandi, Great Spirit, and many others, I'm sure. Call it what you will, but we all live by a hairs breath.
And what a rich breath it is. It is fantastic. It is miraculous. It is fortuitous. It is beautiful. It is terrible. It is grand. It is awe-inspiring. It is what I call life.

We ought to live by the golden rule which is predominate in all belief systems. We ought to make the world a better place while we are here. This message is everywhere. We need to choose to hear it. In this age of communication and entertainment this message is delivered. These messages are delivered to us through modern day bards. People write stories and tell them in many forms. Through movies and song. Through books and stories. Someone wrote these. Someone sings these. Someone reads these. These are the bards and minstrels of today.
But they are easily dismissed as entertainers. They are more than that... (with some exceptions I'm sure.) But the message remains true. Some have delivered this message in celebrated fashion such as great books. Take the time to look a little deeper. Listen a little closer. You can hear it.

Life is precious. Live as though you know this.

Be well.

2 comments:

Lilaqua said...

the message is out there but it does not promise fame riches and instand gradification. that is the trent i see, everything is going faster and faster, everyone wants everything NOW and because they should have it not because they deserve it.
money is the demaon of our age and there are still ytoo many that worship his glammer and even the ones that do not want to worship him are caught in the net that was spunn. simple does not do it anymore.. fancy is in.
having more then your nighbor is more important then sharing what you have. things have become more important then people themselves... seen a divorce lately?
that is why i cling to an anchient philosophy of mother nature and our place in it is as a intricate part of it all not as the ruler and destroyer of it. it always takes may generations for change to maifest... chatastrophies are the shortcut change takes at times... oh i could go on for ever i think.. ranting, waffeling.... but the hardest thing i ever did was not to point to others but myself as the instrument of bringing about change one life lived example at the time... and darn ,,,, i am not perfect ( almost though,,,,,lol) but working on it.

sending you a big hug
lilaqua

Becca said...

I think we often forget this... the soft 'comfiness' of modern life (at least for a good percentage of Americans) divorces us from our animal reality and hides the peril of everyday existence behind a veil of things like electric garage door openers and scented hairspray. Most people live their lives wrapped in cotton candy.
And while I love the gifts of modern society like my programmable coffee maker and my Netflix and readily available antibiotics, I grieve the loss of our awareness of what is truly important, and of how easily lost it is.
Luckily (or unluckily?) I've spent the last 13 years in jobs where death is a reality and I must watch people confront their mortality and that of those they love. My job description has usually been, "I'm with people on the worst day of their lives." There is something truly awesome about the stripping away of the unimportant layers once true emergency strikes. People become real. It is raw. (Sometimes a bit too raw, hence my secret love of merlot, hot tub and iPod-mancy.)
Every day I leave work, take a huge breath of fresh air, look up at the sun, or moon, or stars, or whatever happens to be out, and think, "It is awesome that I am alive, and amazing that I see what I see, and smell what I smell, and can walk and love and live." Seeing life and death and reality boils things down, makes them simpler, keeps you from sweating the small stuff.
Ah, if only more people worked in ERs or on ambulances or in homeless shelters or.... well, you get the drift.

Life IS precious. It takes alot to get some to realize it though. But that realization feels GREAT.

p.s. Wandering around the house naked smoking a cigar and owning weird books and music, and being pagan, doesn't make you odd - it makes you real, and very likely a kindred spirit. And there's nothing wrong with being the single person on the block with animals... it makes grocery shopping soooo much easier. My cats seem to groove on all the extra attention, anyway.